Sunday, May 27, 2012

From Start to Finish

Yesterday, I entered my first official 5K. I didn't run the whole way, but I ran more than I have maybe ever.

For this race, I was totally unprepared. I am ashamed to admit, but I did not properly train or really workout for almost a month. I am not proud of that, but I am being honest.

My diet has also been trash as of late. We have been travelling a bit, and I have been using that as an excuse.

Had I been fueling my body properly and doing what I needed to do, I could have run even farther.

So how did I make it through?

I will be honest, every step I made yesterday morning from getting out of bed at 6 AM to crossing the starting line to finishing was nothing but sheer willpower. My body wasn't ready for that and it was a battle every literal step of the way. 

I passed some churches and buildings and I even thought to myself, what if I could go and hide behind one, wait about and hour and call my husband to come and ger me. When I came across the EMS truck, it tool all I had not to throw myself on it and fake some injury (Please note, if you are truly injured, you should always seek medical attention). 

Yes. These thoughts entered my mind. Yes. I entertained them, but there was something there driving me. You see, I made a commitment to myself to change my life, my health. And even though lately I have managed to fall off the wagon, there was still that goal there and it was more realistic than ever. If I could do as well as I did with the lack of training and improper body fuel, what could I do if I was doing what I needed to do?

The answer: the impossible.

And that my friends is the journey. I am going to see where it takes me. Wanna come?

No comments:

Post a Comment